Saturday, July 16, 2011

A New Chapter, and the US of A!

I'll guess I will start with my blog name, "Transit umbra, lux permanet.".  It means, "Shadow passes, light remains." in Latin, and I have it tattooed on my upper right back.  I guess for me it's a way of living.  I am an optimistic, happy person, but like anyone there are things that come around in my life that get me down.  There are times when I have found myself to be unsure of my life or myself, or stuck in a rut.  This way of thinking helps.  To me, it means that no matter what happens to you in life there is always a brighter day, and good will come to you.  When the shadows have passed, light will remain.

So, why am I starting a blog?  I'm really not sure.  Maybe it's partly because I have been looking into the future a lot lately.  I'm starting to picture my life after school (because there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel).  I have a facebook, but eventually I am going to want to get rid of it.  Literally, the only reason I still have it is to keep in touch with family and friends.  But when I have my own home, and a family of my own, I think that I may chose to go back to the good old days of communication, you know.  And use this weird thing called a telephone to catch up with my loved ones.  This blog will help those that care about me, and likewise me about them, keep up with the happenings once my life starts finally moving forward.  No more facebook creepers.  Is putting it all out on a blog any better...heck, I don't know.  I haven't thought about that too much.  I know this is something that I have always wanted to do.  Maybe this seems like a better thing for a family, or more mature than facebook, or maybe I'm just tired of facebook all together!

So for the last year and 3 months, I have been living on a Caribbean island.  I know, sounds like paradise, right?  Well, sometimes it is.  And I could never ever get sick of hearing the living, rolling ocean outside my window.  But as sadly and perhaps spoiled as this sounds, the novelty wears off and you begin wishing you were home again.  I miss my family, my friends, and my wonderful boyfriend.  I miss the conveniences of the U.S.!  I miss the snow, and no, your eyes are not playing tricks on you.  I miss the snow!  Independence day here just wasn't the same.  Last Thanksgiving was the first Thanksgiving where I did not get to spend it with my family.  Crime has gone up on my little island, the people are unhappy and my school is starting to get on my nerves.  I know that a year from now part of me may wish I could come back here and do it all again.  But for now; a year and 3 months in, stuck on a little island, sweating my butt off everyday, with limited communication, paying double the price for groceries, largely in debt...I want to go home.

As for nursing on this island -- one of the best experiences I could ever ask for, and I know that the time I spent here nursing will absolutely be an asset for me in the future.  The thought that comes to mind when you see this hospital, and the way that some people live here is: Third World.  Lets pretend that there were a scale from 1-10 to determine how "Third World" a country actually is, 1 being the least severely "Third World", and 10 being the most severe.  My island would be placed between 3-5 probably.  Basically what I am saying is that it's not as bad as some places.  But it is a third world country.  With that being said, the skills I am picking up and experiences I have had, have been phenomenal.  I have had to think critically and creatively with every single patient I have ever had.  The hospital will run out of supplies daily whether it's sheets, tape, IV lines, or catheter bags and we have to work around it.  We have to work around the flies, the roaches, the fire ants, the broken beds, and the lack of AC.  And not only that, but I know that I have helped so many people, and even touched lives in some cases.  I would never give up the experiences that I have had here.

But it is all coming to an end soon.  This is my last semester (hip hip, HOORAY!), and I have my one-way ticket back to the states in 23 days (not like I am counting or anything).  4 long semesters, a year and 3 months, 100's of patients seen, a number of incredible friendships made that I know will last forever...numerous fire ant bites, cockroaches killed, and even one poisonous centipede killed in my apartment as well (see picture below), and it all ends soon in just over 3 weeks.  I'll admit, it's bittersweet.  But I am exploding with excitement to feel like an American citizen again!!

The Culprit:


Oh, and my sweet sweet cat Reggae is reminding me (by sitting on my keyboard) that I adopted him here too.  One of the lucky of thousands of stray cats here.  He's USA-bound as well :) Anyone who knows me, knows that it is very unlikely that I come home from living in a place with thousands of stray animals, not having adopted one myself.

Until next time, peace and blessings to all!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lo! It is so typical of you to adopt a cat :) I think that a blog is perfect for you... please share lots of beautiful pictures with us! You take the best ones :) But more pictures of beautiful sunsets, and less pictures of poisonous centipedes, please... I am so excited to see you when you get home! I love you! I hope that you have an easy, safe trip home! xxxx

    Hita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just added this to my bookmarks tab for sure. Ditto to the pictures - I'd love to have a visual update of how things are for you when you post as well!

    Love, Kell

    ReplyDelete